Me and my family

Me and my family

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's Not Fair to Compare

"It's not fair to compare!" is a saying in our house when the boys start to argue why they should get more computer time, or complain about the treatment they see their brothers getting. Yet as a new homeschooling mom I find that comparing is really hard NOT to do! When I compare my boys with other boys their ages, the pressure kicks in that they need to be up to pare with the same academics as whom I am comparing them too. It's at that moment that I start losing a joy of homeschooling and feel that pressure and inadequacy. Just the other day my youngest son got a cute "card" from a fellow 5 year old friend of his in the mail. It was a handwritten homemade card made with plain paper and pencil, but I was impressed with his handwriting! I compared his to my son and found my son greatly lacking! "Oh No! I've really neglected his handwriting lately and he's going to be behind!" was my thought. So needless to say we worked on handwriting that day! Maybe it was simply a good motivator to get on the ball with my youngest whom I admit has got the least of my attention as I've focused much more on my 8 and 9 year old's, or maybe I played right into that comparing game that so easily steals my joy. Not only in regards to homeschooling, but in many joys of life comparing has been a joy stealer. Whether it's my house, my looks, my van (it's a 1993 with many scratches on it, nothing like the shiny new ones I see going by me), my church (yes I covet other churches for goodness sake!), or friends, it all adds up to discontentment, covetousness, and jealousy - things I don't need in my life. Help me Father to hold my thoughts captive and not covet what I see around me. Help me be content with what I have and be thankful for the things You've given me. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, help me Lord to truly be thankful for my van, our house, our precious boys who have unique strengths and weaknesses, my personality traits, my spiritual gifts, my church, my friendships, my husband, and my life period. In concentrating on being thankful I can stop playing the comparing game and be grateful for what I have and what others have. It's not fair to compare, God is in control and His ways for me are good. I can rest in that and so can you!

No comments: